If your answer to any of the following questions is ‘yes’, then this may be the course for you!
- Does your dog stop listening to you as soon as you take them outside for a walk?
- Perhaps your dog recalls beautifully when there isn’t too much else going on, but ignores your requests to come back in favour of playing with other dogs, saying hello to strangers, sniffing around in the hedges or chasing squirrels in the park?
- Do you have to call / whistle to your dog more than once before they come back to you?
- Is your dog reluctant to let you reattach their lead at the end of a walk? Perhaps they dodge away from you or struggle when you hold their collar or harness
How this course can help
In this course you will learn how to:
- Teach your dog a basic recall cue
- Use a recall whistle
- Encourage your dog to give you better focus and attention
- Build your value as a highly-rewarding feature of your dog’s environment through a variety of fun recall games
- Identify when your dog is likely to make a mistake and what you can do to change the situation to enable them to be successful
- Respond positively when a recall attempt is unsuccessful
- Use a recall training line correctly and effectively
- Vary the type and frequency of rewards given to your dog to help promote successful recall at different stages of training
- Handle transitions between your dog being ‘on-lead, off-lead, on-lead’ so that your dog remains relaxed and cooperative
- Avoid training mistakes that can weaken your dog’s recall; make your dog reluctant to be put back on their lead
When it comes to recall, you want your dog to respond first time because they want to - not because they HAVE to, even when other everyday things that attract their interest and attention are present in the environment. We want to help you achieve that!
Classes are held on Wednesday mornings from 9.30-10.30am. The first class is held at Little Weeds and the subsequent 3 classes at our Agility Field in Nerja . This course is great value for money at only €60 inc. IVA for 4 x weekly 60 minute classes.
Want to take a class but can’t make it during the available days/times? Interested in a class listed on our Dog Training Classes page, but don’t see any sessions scheduled? Contact us to let us know! Or, get in touch about our Private Training options.